Sunday, April 10, 2016

Polish Affair in Slough

I am at a Polish restaurant in Slough called Aromat Kuchni. 

Last night I had landed in the UK and had taken a taxi to my hotel in Slough. It was a nice drive on the iconic black cab and the weather was pleasantly *freaking cold!* The Holiday Inn Express hotel was nice and I had promptly fallen asleep at the first sight of a well made bed, thanks to my economy class seats. I don't ask for much but business class travel is one thing I will have one day! 

The day went with a bit of shopping, exploring and a siesta and by 5pm I was hungry, for food and some human contact. 

There is nothing like a nice homely welcoming food joint to get the spirits high.🏠

 And this Polish restaurant felt like it fitted the bill. There were fast food options like mc Donald's but a quaint restaurant can't be replaced...It's the easy atmosphere of people laughing real, big belly laughs, which attracted me to this place. That, and people talking in Polish, or is it Polski?

The ambiance was nice and homely. Wooden table, embroidered table clothes, a nice small candle lit really brought the home atmosphere. 

The menu had a wide variety from vegetarian soups, chicken dishes and a few Polish pork and beef based dishes. I decided to seek help and ask the waitress to suggest. It's always best to tell what meat you eat. 

"I eat all meat." I had said.

She suggested the house specialities of beef roulade or pork knuckle or even the breaded chicken. I had heard of the pork knuckle somewhere else and thought I must try it. So I asked for it.

It's big, fat pork joint with mashed potatoes, a sour cabbage salad, mustard dip and a tangy, strong tasting white paste. The orange juice felt it would go nicely with it. 

When the pork knuckle came after an eager wait of about 20 minutes it looked amazing! 


It was a giant portion of pork sitting over a bed of cabbage salad accompanied by two scoops of mashed potato and dips. 

The first slice of the knife on the pork told me how nicely this meat was cooked! The fat was gooey and the meat came off beautifully from the bones! Easily it was one of the best cooked pork I have ever tasted. 

The pork was probably brined as it had a salty after feel and went really well with the sweetish mashed potato. The cabbage salad was a tangy (I wouldn't call it sour). There were two dips, a mustard dip and another white one. The mustard dip was nice and strong. The white dip was pungent and a bit strong for my taste. I decided to focus on the rest of the items. 

The orange juice gave good company until I was completely full with about half of the pork still on my plate. 


( sorry if the image is too gross... 🤔)

I was, graciously offered a take away and I completed my meal with a stomach filled with delicious Polish pork and a heart filled with some good, convivial surroundings.👍
 Do visit this place if you are in Slough. 

No comments: